Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The Housekeeper and the Professor by Yoko Ogawa


A housekeeper and her son develop a relationship with her employer, a professor who, because of an accident nearly 20 years ago, only remembers things for 80 minutes at a time. The housekeeper must re-introduce herself to him every morning.

General rating: 3.8 out of 4 (I hesitantly question the plausibility because I enjoyed it so much.)

1. Is it plausible? Perhaps.

2. Is it thought provoking? Very much so. The professor is a mathematics genius and he uses math to relate to the world. There's a lot of math in this book, but it's more than just numbers and problems; in this book, the math problems symbolize life and its problems and beauties too. In fact, this is a very layered book, worthy of more than one reading.

3. Is it engaging? Yes. I sat down to read it and didn't get up until I finished.

4. Is it uplifting? Yes, it's uplifting and touching and educational. A very nice combination. There is so much that is suggested, left unsaid. It's a bittersweet and sentimental book about math and baseball and dear, kind people. A strange combination, perhaps. I closed the book with a very sweet feeling drifting right through me.

Language: none
Sex: none, although there are no intact families in this book, and several unwed mothers (and fatherless children) and references to one adulterous relationship. All benign, but there all the same.

My recommendation: A very sweet book about loyalty, love, service, strength... and, of course, math and baseball. I read it too fast to really do it justice (because it's due at the library today !! And I can't renew it cuz someone else has it on hold). It's a book that seems to ask for savoring, if you know what I mean. It's worth reading. I think those who like math and baseball would especially enjoy it. And I keep on thinking what a funny combination this book is: an old man, a young boy, a housekeeper, a sister-in-law, housekeeping, baseball, math, memories, injuries.... Unexpected and lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment