Monday, November 1, 2010

The Breadwinner by Deborah Ellis


This review is by Isaiah, age 12

General rating: 3.5 out of 4. It was not as interesting at the beginning.

This book is about a young Afghan girl who becomes the breadwinner when her father is taken by the Taliban.

1. Is it plausible? Yes, quite plausible.

2. Is it thought provoking? Yes, very thought provoking. I thought, "would it be possible for her to do all those things?" and it also made me wonder what happened next? It was a cliffhanger ending. It made me think, "wow, times were tough for women then!" (this book took place in 1996). I think things are easier now.

3. Was it engaging? Medium engaging. At first I wasn't that interested because it wasn't very interesting! But then it got interesting.

4. Was it uplifting? When I finished the book I felt that I was glad that we had free choice today and that we weren't forced to do things like the Afghans were back when this book took place in 1996. So, yes, it was very uplifting.

Language: no bad language except for the occasional "dumb" or "stupid"
Sex: none

My recommendation: I recommend this book for ages 8 and up. It was interesting and I learned a lot about the culture and some of the foods they ate. I also learned about how some of the families survived by having their children work to support them.

No comments:

Post a Comment