Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Thank You, Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse

I'm a relative newcomer to the Jeeves novels. I think I've read one other before this one. But there are so many references to Bertie Wooster and the unflappable Jeeves in other books, in TV, in movies...I guess it's about time that I enter the charmed world of P.G. Wodehouse's Jeeves.

In this novel, Bertie's interminable (and apparently intolerably annoying) banjoele playing drives Jeeves to seek employment elsewhere and Bertie to leave his London neighbors (also unable to tolerate the banjoele) for a stint in the country. Entanglements with romance, the law, a knife wielding butler, kidnapping and arson follow. Jeeves smooths it all out, naturally.

Is there anyone who writes such delicious comedy as P.G. Wodehouse? I don't think so. Even though these books have been around for decades, Bertie's fluid and airy narration, Jeeves' spot-on solutions to every problem, the way they finish each others' sentences, Bertie's dissolute innocence (can there be such a thing?) and his endless stream of dim-witted friends and lovely ladies...it's all just perfect and I thoroughly enjoyed reading this little gem. 

Bad language: none
Sex: nope

No comments:

Post a Comment