Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Coronets and Steel by Sherwood Smith

    I have been on a re-reading kick lately, going back through a bunch of my favorites (Darkmoore, The Trouble With Kings, the Sasharia series, The Book of a Thousand Days, The Wizard of Oz series....) and trying to get through some "thinking" books (The Art of Teaching Piano, Techniques and Materials of Tonal Music, American Grace...) but a new book to me is this one, "Coronets and Steel" by one of my favorite authors, Sherwood Smith.

   In this book (which, by the way is first in a series of 3) we meet Kim Murray, one of Smith's LA long-blonde-hair, swordfighting heroines (I don't think a single one of Sherwood Smith's heroines that I have met so far has short hair). She's traveling to Europe to uncover the mysteries in her ill grandmother's past. What she doesn't know is that she is innocently entering into a convoluted political situation that will very quickly suck her right into the middle of lies, danger and...romance. Of course, there's gotta be romance, right? (I always like that part.)

     This book definitely had a book #1 feel to it. There was lots of time spent on building the many characters and their complicated ancestral lines and hometown history. I got a little lost in all the names (Count Karl-Anton, Lady Aurelia von Mecklundburg, Princess Aurelia Dsaret, Angel Xanpia, Statthalter Alec Ysvorod...) and the circles of intrigue that kept crossing each other, not to mention the mythology that got more and more real as the book progressed. And the ending was very unsatisfying. However, I did like this book even though it's definitely not my favorite Sherwood Smith. It was complex, interesting, extremely engaging and I did really like our main characters. Worth reading. (But I sure don't like the cover illustration!)

Bad language: I counted 2 swear words--unusual, I think, in a Sherwood Smith book.
Sex: Another first: our couple slept together! It was strongly implied, but with no description whatsoever. I guess Sherwood Smith still counts as mostly "clean" to me, but this book was the first time I've encountered bad language and unmarried sex (albeit extremely vaguely depicted) in a Sherwood Smith book.

No comments:

Post a Comment