Monday, November 18, 2013

The Magnificent Devices Series by Shelley Adina

This was such a happy discovery! It was on my bookbub list--a boxed set for 99 cents, and was described as "Steampunk", so I bought it for my daughter. She read it before me and really liked it, but I took my time getting to it (so many books, so little reading time!). When I did I was immediately captured and I loved the entire series!

The books follow the story of intelligent and misunderstood Lady Claire Trevelyan and her evolution from a "blood" (a member of the nobility) to a "wit"--a member of the intelligentsia. Her story is set in the alternative version of Victorian England where steam is king and steam technology is advancing dramatically.

I was engaged in these stories from the very beginning. Claire was strong, smart, determined and a woman of integrity. She accidentally became the "Lady of Devices" among the London criminal element and went on to transform nearly everything and everyone she came into contact with, always with the eventual goal of getting herself to college and furthering her education. What a fun series! I highly recommend them to you and your children, especially if you have Steampunk fan among you!

Sex: none
Bad language: none

No comments:

Post a Comment