Monday, November 18, 2013

Dans de la Folie by Sherwood Smith

I am beginning to believe that Sherwood Smith could write anything and I would love it!

This is a Regency romance a la Georgette Heyer. It features two heroines: wealthy and quiet Miss Clarissa Harlowe, and poor, adventurous Lady Kitty. Both ladies find their way to society, friendship and love.

I liked the occasional narrative comment that stepped outside of the story--the little spotlights on significant moments or people. Sherwood Smith has a...a down-to-earth tone in every one of her books that I appreciate so much. It makes me laugh and it somehow ensures a lack of uncomfortable (or laughable) melodrama.

I also liked, of course, the setting and the romance. The story was just the slightest bit forgettable, and didn't have the depth of character or dialogue that my very favorite stories do, but it was fun and very engaging, and in the thoroughly enjoyable classic Regency romance style that is such a delight to read. I really liked it. I'm so happy there are so many clean and engaging Regency romances out there! I have a friend who is sort of collecting them lately and passing on all her recommendations and I am having fun making my way through many of them.

Sex: of course not--no respectable Regency lady would think of it (despite all those sex-drenched Regency bodice rippers out there)
Bad language: none, naturally

No comments:

Post a Comment