Monday, November 18, 2013

Pride, Prejudice and Cheese Grits by Mary Jane Hathaway

Well, this was a surprisingly fun take on Jane Austen's most famous piece of fiction! Set in the South, this story features Civil War experts Shelby Roswell and Ransom Fielding. He deeply offends her sensibilities and she is determined to dislike him. Meanwhile, he begins to find her interesting... and you know how it all turns out, don't you?

It cannot be said that this version follows closely its original (that is, Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice), but I couldn't stop myself from trying to fit every scene into the Austen book that I know so well. Of course, there are few direct parallels, but it was still delightful and well worth a read. Not a perfect construction, but a lot of fun and a good story on its own. I probably enjoyed it the more because I didn't expect to like it much. Ha.

I will mention that I didn't see eye to eye with Shelby's insistence, in the end, on the importance of her career over Ransom's, but I suppose that's the traditionalist in me. Ransom rose magnificently up to a completely unselfish response. Happy sigh. One of the consequences of feminism that I do not like is the emasculation--to one degree or another--of the men in our lives. I know there's a middle ground, compromise, generosity to be found in most successful relationships between men and women, but culturally it is completely acceptable these days to slight men in the way that women have been slighted for centuries past. I guess some might say that it's about time! But I would like to imagine that equal worth for both sexes can be found without the dramatic swing of the pendulum that seems inevitable to any political or social change. Hm.

Anyway. I appreciated the thoughtful nature of our heroine. She really did try to overcome her negative feelings and responses and she allowed herself to listen to and actually learn a little from Ransom Fielding. He, of course, grew more and more attractive as the story went on, and I liked getting a glimpse into his heart--understanding why he appeared so unpleasant from time to time. The Southern setting added an extra sparkle too, of course.

Sex: none
Bad language: I don't think so

No comments:

Post a Comment