Thursday, May 2, 2013

The Twelfth Enchantment by David Liss


     I have figured out how to check out e-books from my local library! Some of you, I'm sure, are way ahead of me on this one, but I'm still pretty excited. The selection is not exhaustive, to be sure. So far I've not found one that I'm actually "looking" for, but I've found several that I've really enjoyed while just "browsing". This book is one of them.

     This, as you may have gathered from the title, is a book of fantasy that takes place in Britain during the Regency period. Lucy Derrick has lost her father and her reputation and is preparing to make a marriage of convenience at the insistence of her unwelcoming uncle. As she is making up her mind to do so, she is visited by a handsome man who also happens to be possessed...and he delivers an urgent message that she wishes desperately to understand.

     And so on and so forth. I really enjoyed this book! It was clean, it had romance, danger, magic, the undead, sweeping threats to our main characters and to the country in general, rebellion, spirits of the departed, demons--lots of stuff that kept me glued to the book until it was over. And then I wished for more still. I particularly enjoyed meeting historical characters (in particular Lord Byron and William Blake) re-framed into this particular plot--fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment