Thursday, May 2, 2013

The Fate of Mercy Alban by Wendy Webb

    This is another that I found among my library's e-books.

     Grace Alban has not been home to her family estate by Lake Superior for 20 years. She returns at the death of her mother and, with the help of the town's attractive Lutheran minister, unravels family secrets that have been haunting generations.

     I really enjoyed this book. It was free of bad language, suspenseful and a little bit romantic as well. One objection that I have noted before: why do authors send their ministers into bedroom scenes before marriage? This is incomprehensible to me. Has the Bible changed somehow? I am pretty sure that Commandment #7 (the no adultery one) is still present in that book. So I cannot understand why these otherwise highly religious characters are jumping into bed with their significant others!! I have noted this in more than one book. It's highly annoying. Thankfully, the bedroom scene in this novel was so subtle as to almost just suggest sex before marriage. Except it wasn't a suggestion since she looked over at his sleeping face on the adjoining pillow....even that could have been just a nap, right? Darn, no, because when they both wake up they put their clothes back on before leaving the hotel room. SIGH. Okay. Rant over. However, if the subtle portrayal of unmarried sex offends, you will not want to read this one. Otherwise, I really liked the book a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment