Thursday, January 30, 2014

An Elegant Solution by Paul Robertson

     I loved this book. Mostly. I also felt bored, overwhelmed, confused, frustrated and transported by turns. For one thing, it took me almost HALF of the book to get into the story. And there were a few very self-conscious passages that seemed to be shouting, "I'm deep!" 

     But there were also beautiful parts and very interesting parts and captivating parts. Altogether I really liked Paul Robertson's writing style and I loved his mathematics and his mysterious/beautiful/divine/dark/convoluted imagery. The first half was a little too existential for me, but like I said, the story finally grabbed me and then I didn't want to put the book down.

     This is the story of Leonhard, a mathematical genius (somewhere in the 18th century, I think) who finds himself in the middle of a murder mystery that he somehow has the power to resolve. He is a young man of absolute integrity and unshakeable faith--in mathematics and in God. He is servant/friend/student to the head of one of the most brilliant mathematical families in Europe. He lives in Bern, Switzerland and that city is beautifully depicted by Paul Robertson. The book seemed very well-researched and the brilliant people from history that he fleshed out really came alive in this story.

     I did wonder why only Leonhard took the steps to resolve a problem that had troubled many wiser men than he (although were they really wiser?). And how and why was Leonhard able to see that which other men didn't see (really--he kind of saw visions)? And I did feel that the ending might have been a little too...mystical almost. But! I did love the, well, the essence of this book. And I'd like to read more Paul Robertson. I'll have to rest up, though, because sticking with this one (as satisfying and lovely as it ended up being) took some definite effort (it's good for me, though! Right?). If you're geared up for a "thinking" book that will take a little determination to get into, I highly recommend this one. It really did have some transporting moments.

Sex: absolutely none
Bad language: none

No comments:

Post a Comment