Saturday, July 6, 2013

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare



This is one of those supernatural adventure/romance books that are so very popular these days. It is peopled by demons, demon-hunters, witches, warlocks, vampires, werewolves and “mundanes” (yeah, that’s what we regular people are called).  It’s the first in a series called “The Mortal Instruments” and it’s all about a girl named Clary Fray finding out who she is and what the heck is going on in her life.
The second book in the series is called City of Ashes, and I guess I’ll be reading it next since the ending in this book was all about loose ends—will Clary’s mom live? Who is Clary’s soul mate? Will Valentine prevail? Etc, etc. 

The book feels very trendy, very adolescent, but it is engaging, entertaining and absorbing. It’s certainly not the best book I’ve ever read, but it totally captures the supernatural thing and, so far, it’s inoffensive and I really want to find out how all these loose ends are tied up. I’m not going past #3 (City of Glass), though. No, really, I’m not!

Bad language: I don’t think so
Sex: a few kisses are exchanged, more romance is indicated in coming books…

No comments:

Post a Comment