Sunday, April 7, 2013

Dear Tiz by Aslaug Gorbitz

Sorry about the tiny picture. This is an ebook by a first-time author. She asked me to read and review her book.

This book was presented to me as a Christian romance. I do not know if I would categorize it as such. It is primarily historical fiction, I guess, with some adventure and romance thrown in. It's about two 17-year-old girls who find themselves transported into each others' centuries.

This book is built around a great idea and is neatly organized--almost symmetrical (a pattern that I really like, as a matter of fact. Symmetry always makes me happy). It is a long book, with a lot of back story that can bog down the reader. I picked up the book and put it back down a dozen times during the first half of the book. The second half of the book engaged me, though, and I read it through without stopping until I reached the end.

I found a lot of problems in the writing--some weak/confused characterization, blurry settings, a stilted voice, too many things going on, too many "coincidences".... but the basic story stayed in my imagination for days. If you are interested in this type of story, take a look at this book and give the author your feedback. You might find the storyline as memorable as I did. [Note: there is a teenage "bedroom scene" a la Stephanie Meyers' Twilight--where the characters sleep together with no sex. Didn't particularly like that. You may also find some of the religious imagery a little bit heavy handed in places--and totally absent in others].

No comments:

Post a Comment