Sunday, April 7, 2013

A Time Apart by Diane Stanley

The first book I read and loved by Diane Stanley was Bella at Midnight.  After I read that one, I ordered several more books by her, including this one, which is, I believe, the first one she ever wrote.

This is very different from Bella. This one takes place in a modern year (published in 1999) and tells the story of 13-year-old Ginny who must go from her home in Houston, Texas, to England to stay with her dad (whom she does not know well) while her mom undergoes treatment for cancer. This is difficult enough, I suppose, but Dad is currently staying in an Iron Age village for a university project and Ginny must join him there, giving up all the trappings of modern life.

One of the reviews quoted on the back of the book calls this a coming-of-age tale. I don't like that label--I find it off-putting. But what it means in this book is that Ginny adjusts and makes some discoveries about herself and others. She works hard, and matures, and ends up rediscovering her dad--something they both embrace. I think it's interesting that this plot depends quite a bit on the whole lack of communication thing that so many plots are built around. If Ginny's mom had communicated more honestly and clearly in letters... if her dad had communicated at all... If Ginny herself had been able to honestly ask questions and get desperately needed answers.... Good communication would render many books and movies completely uninteresting. I know I've mentioned this before, but occasionally it really stands out to me again.

I liked Ginny a lot. I also found the Iron Age setting interesting--fun to imagine living in a setting like that even though in reality I think I would seriously dislike it. If I could have the quiet and serenity, the close-to-the-earth living along with indoor plumbing and toothbrushes, books and shampoo, I think I'd do alright. Diane Stanley skips over some of the more earthy details of living in this Iron Age setting (did they get to use toilet paper or was that cheating? These are things I'd like to know), but makes the setting as authentic as possible due to her research into an actual project just like this one in England in the 1970s (well, as she points out, it was for a TV series rather than a University project).

It was an engaging book to read, not too emotional and with a satisfying ending--a good book for young teenagers, perhaps, although I found it interesting as well. I really like Diane Stanley and look forward to reading more by her.

No comments:

Post a Comment