Monday, January 28, 2013

The Angel and the Jabberwocky Murders by Mignon F. Ballard

What a charming book this was! It's another mystery, this time set in the fictional small town of Stone's Throw, South Carolina.

My one sentence summary: Our heroine, 50-something Lucy Nan Pilgrim and her guardian angel, Augusta, uncover a connection between the deaths of several young women at the local college. Can they figure out who the murderer is before another girl is killed?

I usually dislike amateur detectives--they seem unnaturally snoopy and get themselves in all sorts of odd situations. But I really liked Lucy Nan. Her pursuit of information seemed very like ordinary curiosity. I expected more "magical" input from the angel Augusta, but she spent most of her time dispensing calming advice and cooking and cleaning. I guess that's maybe what many women would wish for in a guardian angel? Many of the recipes that Augusta uses are included in the book, by the way.

In any case, this southern mystery was interesting and engaging and I liked all the characters very much (even the murderer was likeable!). I'll be looking out for more books by Mignon Ballard.

No comments:

Post a Comment