Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Shades of Milk and Honey by Mary Robinette Kowal

I really liked this book. It's like Jane Austen only with magic. I think there's a whole genre full of this stuff. Anyway, this one was lovely.

Plain Miss Jane Ellsworth envies her beautiful sister's looks even though she has great talents of her own... in magic. Not a particularly ladylike talent. This is her love story.

I really, really liked this book. There are a lot of stories about magic and it's interesting when an author has a fresh little twist on this oft-encountered theme. I have to admit that I found the carriage chase towards the end a little confusing...and the book wasn't perfect in its period details, and I got very irritated with Jane's sister's jealousy of Jane...but all in all I liked Mary Kowal's characters and her unique take on magic in this entertaining story.

Squeaky clean, too, by the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment