Friday, November 4, 2011

The Weed that Strings the Hangman's Bag by Alan Bradley


This is #2 in the Flavia de Luce mystery series. The others are "The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie" (#1) and "The Red Herring Without Mustard" (#3). I've enjoyed them all.

Flavia de Luce is 11 years old. Her greatest love is chemistry, particularly poison--any poison. When I first was introduced to her, she didn't seem 11. In this book, however, she feels a bit more like an 11-year-old.

I really dislike summarizing books. Here goes: a famous puppeteer and his assistant come to the village and entrance children and adults alike with their puppet show. But there are dark events in his history and he ends up murdered. Flavia can go places adults can't or don't go and she hears all sorts of gossip and sees things she shouldn't...which makes her a unique detective.

I totally enjoyed this book, a more unqualified enjoyment than I felt at the first book, I think. I'm really liking the Flavia de Luce mysteries! (although I still feel bad about her sisters being so mean! Why are they??)

No comments:

Post a Comment