Thursday, November 24, 2011

Axel of Evil by Alina Adams


This is the second Alina Adams figure skating mystery that I read. It features our amateur detective: Rebecca "Bex" Levy, a researcher for 24/7 TV network. She works behind the scenes, snooping around to find the solutions that her boss demands.

This story takes place in Russia. Igor Marchenko, a Russian skater who defected from that country in his teens, is now a distinguished figure skating coach, and he has returned to Russia for the first time since his defection. While in this country, however, he collapses and dies at a practice session. Bex (and her attentive Russian translator) investigates.

This book was pretty interesting. I especially liked the brief look at what happens to the families left behind when a Russian skater defects. This book is focused more on coaches than skaters and I found it more interesting than the other that I read (Death Drop).

Again, this book was pretty clean--very little swearing and no sex scenes--and generally enjoyable if you like mysteries. I'd never seen a mystery set among figure skaters before I found this series, so I think the stories are rather unique too.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for the nice reviews, Aubrey. You've made an author very thankful on this day!

    I am currently in the process of turning all my skating books into enhanced e-books with professional skating videos embedded as part of the story. I'd love to send you a sample to look over.

    You don't need a Kindle or Nook to experience it, just the free Kindle app and anything with an Internet connection like a PC, Mac, laptop, phone, etc...

    Please e-mail me and I'll get it out to you, ASAP.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete