Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear

This is the first of a series of mysteries featuring our title character, Maisie Dobbs. She is a highly intelligent, very well-trained, not too young lady who has a unique type of detective skill.

In this, her first case, her personal story is shared with the reader. We read about Maisie's childhood, her adolescence and the time she spent nursing in the war. Then we fast forward to her first case as an investigator on her own. And this particular case forces her to sort out her feelings about what happened in her life during the war.

I really liked this story. It wasn't lighthearted--not to be considered a "cozy" (which type of mystery I usually really like)--but it's not as gritty as PD James, perhaps. I found all of Ms.Winspear's characters likeable and I lost myself in Maisie's story. I look forward to reading the books that follow this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment