Saturday, February 11, 2012

What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Hypothyroidism by Ken Blanchard, M.D., Ph.D.


I've read several books on hypothyroidism and this one is probably the most accessible. Dr. Blanchard's explanations were clear and each section was labeled so that the reader need only read the sections he or she chooses. Dr. Blanchard discusses both prescription solutions and homeopathic solutions.

A few negatives: I thought his list of symptoms of hypothyroidism was not complete. I also felt that his emphasis on constant checking implied that those who suffer from hypothyroidism could not hope to find long-term stability easily. I think it might be more realistic to say that the average patient will find a measure of stability, although it is likely that the elimination of ALL symptoms of hypothyroidism will be difficult to achieve.

Generally, though, I found the information in this book valuable. It will join my collection and I might even give a copy of it to my doctor. (I'm continually disappointed by the number of doctors who don't know enough about this all-too-common illness.) It's a good read for anyone with any unresolved/"mysterious" health issues and if a reader has been diagnosed with hypothyroidism, I think it might be an essential read.

No comments:

Post a Comment