Monday, September 5, 2011

This book is subtitled: "A Teenage Guide to Avoiding Lemuelitis". If you haven't read the Book of Mormon, this might not mean anything to you. :)

I bought this for my 13-year-old son to begin his school year with (we homeschool). My plan was to read it before he did (to prepare, right?) and then spend a week or two reading it and discussing it, section by section, with my son. However, as soon as I finished it, my 16-year-old daughter snatched it up and read it and then that 13-year-old son picked it up and read it as well. All in one day. So much for my plan. :)

This is a very cute book. In each chapter the reader is instructed to begin by reading the appropriate chapter in the Book of Mormon. Then, David Bowman rewrites the chapter--only from Lemuel's point of view. Included are the stories told as if they were: texted, posted on facebook, skyped..... very clever. David Bowman is a gifted illustrator and his illustrations make this book especially entertaining. Each story is followed by the lessons the teenager (or adult) can learn from Lemuel and his brothers. Each chapter has a specific point to make.

My kids really enjoyed the book and so did I. I will read it again with my son for school and we will look up all the scripture references and discuss each chapter's conclusion. I'm really looking forward to it. Highly recommended!

2 comments:

  1. Audrey,

    i am just starting out my blog and I was wondering if, as a fellow blogger, you might be able to offer me some advice. How is it that you are able to get your blog to come up on Google? What am I doing wrong? I am trying to use labels, pings, etc, but nothing seems to work to help me get my blog to appear on searches. Any help would be appreciated.

    http://thewindowseat13.blogspot.com/

    Thanks!

    Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aimee, I wish I had some good advice, but I am pretty ignorant about blogging. I mostly blog the books as a record for myself, so I besides telling all my friends to take a look, I have done little else to get the blog to come up on Google. I'm sorry I don't have any intelligence to offer on that.

    I like your blog, by the way. Looks great. And it seems we share some similar tastes in books, so I'll be back to check it out.

    Good luck!
    Audrey

    ReplyDelete