Sunday, April 17, 2011

Locked Rooms by Laurie King




I so like this series!! Laurie King writes a continuation of the Sherlock Holmes series, with the wonderful addition of his partner (in every sense of the word), Mary Russell. I have really liked every book in this series (while at the same time really disliking Laurie King's other series starring the detective Kate Martinelli).

This book finds Mary Russell unraveling her past--the past that she's been running from for the past 15 or so years. She finally returns to San Francisco to deal with some pressing issues regarding her wealthy father's estate. What she finds there threatens to kill her, ends up totally shocking her and finally it frees her from demons she's been living with since her family died in an accident when she was just 14.

I loved reading about San Francisco in the time of the flappers--the jazz babies. I loved revisiting Laurie King's characters' memories of the great San Francisco earthquake. I, of course, love following the detective work of Sherlock Holmes and his irregulars. I also love getting to know these two characters, Holmes and Russell, a little bit more in each book.

This is a fat book, for more than a few hours of very good reading. I really enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment